Getting ready to cover

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Clifford Hatz

Re: Getting ready to cover

Post by Clifford Hatz »

Hey mmcgrew, you're gonna pinstripe aren't ya !!!! mtaylor, I don't know how rough your green is, but green is always alot rougher and duller then most colors, not just in Poly Tone but Dope also. Put on two more coats or one "cross coat" of the new stuff. If it isn't any better you'll have to polish the roughness out. Poly Tone is real easy to polish so don't worry to much about it, it's real soft and polishes almost too easy, you've got to worry about polishing thru the color finish. Good Luck.
Clifford
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

Noooooooooooooo- I hangar with some Stearman guys - They think I have gone off the deep end. But I am actually copying a Stearman I saw at a show. I only have a few red accents left on the wings and fuselage and I am done with the red. I failed to mention that the problems with the red Aerothane only occur over aluminum (Epoxy primer) and not over fabric (Poly Spray). I am about 90% convinced that Aerothane does not work well with Epoxy Primer. I wonder if there is a better primer?

On a spring day in 2012 - The PHOENIX (N838MM) will rise. Started March 3, 2003.

Michael
N838MM
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

I know that when spraying metal parts with Poly-tone that you have to spray the parts with color while the epoxy primer is still drying and tacky. Is it possible that you have to do the same with Aerothane?
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Update!!!!

I used a new can of Poly Tone, had it shaken at the local hardware store, bought a new air/oil separator, was very careful straining, etc., etc. My fuselage now looks great! Nice rich finish with no grit in the finish. FINALLY, I'm on to assembling the airplane! Still don't know what my problem was, but if I had to guess, I'd say the difference was having the can shook well.
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

Shaken, not stirred..... If it's good enough for 007, it's good enough for me.

I used to use a drywall stirring blade that I shortened and would chuck on my drill press. I'd set the can on the table, turn it on, and let it just slowly stir for 15 or 20 minutes while I was doing other things, prep, tack, etc. Worked great until one day I set the can in there and turned it on having forgotten that the last time I'd used the drill press was with a router bit, cutting a groove in something or another. 3630 rpm. Anyway, as soon as flipped the switch, I knew I was in trouble but it was too late. An entire gallon of Polybrush climbed up the stirring bit and up the chuck in a what can only be described as a Polybrush water spout. Everything within 5 feet was covered in Polybrush including me. If you haven't had Polybrush in your ears, you haven't lived. I wanted to get mad but couldn't. It was just too damned funny, even though I was the idiot covered in pink.

I bought a paint shaker the next day.

Mark
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Now THAT got a good laugh! What a picture it painted in my mind... :lol: