radio/antenna installation

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
gaylonhpugh

radio/antenna installation

Post by gaylonhpugh »

I'm looking at putting in the radios. What can anyone tell me about the best way to go about it - choosing and installing - radio and antenna? All I'll need is something to talk to ATC and must confess to not knowing much about'em other than using them. I'm thinking about putting it right between my legs in front of the stick below the dash with a push to talk switch on the stick. Don't know the best way to antenna it. Simplest is best. Thanks for thinking.
gpugh
JBMoore

Re: radio/antenna installation

Post by JBMoore »

That's where I placed my GPS/Comm. I made a bracket, attached it to the rear of the front seat, and ran the wires for the push to talk switch along the torque tube and up the center of the pilot's control stick. Make sure you have enough clearance for the stick to move full forward without hitting your knuckles!
I used a whip antenna installed on the bottom of the plane, on the center line, right in front of the pilot's seat. I also installed a thin piece of aluminum under the wood floor panels for a ground plane.
Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
johnkerr

Re: radio/antenna installation

Post by johnkerr »

For antenna a simple di-pole coax device was used in the space behind the pilot seat. It proved more than adequate connected to a handheld icom from KLGU to KOSH in 2010 and since the handheld was in current inventory cost less than $100. I have since freed the handheld up for other purposes with the installation of a used ICOM 200 picked up from one of our HATZ members installed above my left knee. It provides easier frequency change than the handheld.

John