Bending Seat belt attach points

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
dougm

Bending Seat belt attach points

Post by dougm »

Hi Folks,
I don't have the plans in front of me, but the plans for the seat belt attach points say something to the effect of bending these to an angle that is appropriate for your installation. What angle have people used for these? I can't imagine it's all that different from one Hatz to another. There must be a bend angle for these that is fairly consistent... thoughts?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
JBMoore

Re: Bending Seat belt attach points

Post by JBMoore »

I don't remember what angle I used... or even what it says on the CB-1 plans.
The reason for the bend is if something terrible happens and the seat belts are used to their max, the force on the bolt and hole will be in shear and in somewhat of a straight line. If there isn't a bend, who knows what might fail.
Sit in your seat, mock up a belt and take a quick measurement. If the tab isn't installed yet, tape a piece of poster board in place and bend it until it looks appropriate.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
dougm

Re: Bending Seat belt attach points

Post by dougm »

I understand the need for the bend, but didn't know if someone had figured out what the angle should be. I guess I'll wait until the seats are built before installing them.

thanks!
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster