Classic Visit

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
johnkerr

Classic Visit

Post by johnkerr »

Earlier this week Carol and David Foley from Tulsa came to Logan to visit. They have a CB-1 but the Classic has caught their interest along with that of their niece who aquired a project recently. Their main question was how to accomodate a Rotek 3600 after the airframe had been completed. We sorta concluded that the lowering of the thrust line could still be accomplished but the shape of the cowling would be a little different than mine. The difference being that the fuselage formers were reshaped to follow the lowered thrust line, putting the maximum width at the middle of the firewall which is more circular that on the plans.

It was fun to put faces with names as is always the case with Hatz'ers.

John Kerr
johnkerr

Re: Classic Visit

Post by johnkerr »

attached are some pics from the visit to Logan by Dave & Carol Foley
Salt_Lake_City_March_2010_067.jpg
Salt_Lake_City_March_2010_063.jpg
Salt_Lake_City_March_2010_057.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Looks good John!

Any updates you'd care to share with us regarding the plane and/or the Rotec?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Dang thats nice looking!!
Sure would like to know how you fabricated that front cockpit cover...any tips?
Dave
PA-12
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

The creation of the front cowl was quite simple but too detailed to be added to this string. If there is interest I will post another message with the details. Some information is avialable in the archives.

As a introduction to the process, there is no structure forward of the firewall supporting the three cowl pieces. Each is attached to a flange that is riveted to the firewall and each other in a moncoque manner. Time will tell if vibration will cause problems down the road. A friend who did similar but added bracing has actually suffered greater vibration damage, possibly because the cowl is so rigid in a vibration rich environment.

John
dougm

Post by dougm »

John,

I think Dave was looking for info on the cover for the front cockpit hole, not the cowl.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Right Doug, sorry if I wasn't clear...although I do like the cowling as well. I was wondering how to add a front cockpit cover if I had a padded combing around it. I looks as though you solved that problem.
Dave
PA-12
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Sorry, sometimes the connection from eye to brain breaks down. I obviously read the question as "front cowling".

When cutting the cockpit hole, the piece removed was saved intact. The outer edge was lined with an "h" moulding. A pair of strap fittings from West Marine were attached to the cover more or less at the widest part and inboard of the edge enough to clear the padded combing. The cover is held in place with a couple of 1" straps with velcro attached running down through the plywood former adjacent to the front seat. A light aluminum "L" bracket was formed and riveted toward the rear of the cover to maintain the longitudinal position. There does not seem to be any air load on the cover. It does make the rear cockpit less breazy. The first few flights were without the cover and the draft brought the dust that had eluded the vacuum during construction up into my face.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Thanks John. Could you post a couple pictures showing the installation? Maybe a closeup of it installed and a couple of the backside of the cover and the method of attachment? Sounds like an idea I may try myself when I get to that point.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Pictures of the front cockpit cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.