Hatz CB-1, serial number 18, For Sale

Where Hatz members may list items for sale or trade or make wants known.
Bisbonian

Hatz CB-1, serial number 18, For Sale

Post by Bisbonian »

I own Hatz number 18, supposed to be the first one flown from the plans. It was built by Ernest English in 1976, and one an award that year at Oshkosh. It has an O-235, 108HP. Ernest was a tall man, 6'2", so he added two inches to the length of each cockpit. I am 6'1", and find it to be more comfortable than the other Hatz's I have climbed into. He also gave it four ailerons...I don't think that was in the plans.

When I bought it, I became the 4th owner. I flew it home from Eugene OR, to Bisbee AZ. It also made trips from there to Santa Cruz, CA, and Georgetown, TX. On one Young Eagles day, I gave 16 rides. It's been a marvelous airplane.

Unfortunately, we took in our grand-daughter to live with us for several years, and the Hatz was rarely flown. The Stearman fuel gauge developed a leak, and most of the fuel drained out of that. The fuel in the carb unfortunatly evaporated there, and that in the gascolator turned an ugly green. I assume it will need a new one of each. My A&P moved away, and there are none in this town, and so the Hatz ("Snoopy") sat.

I have now retired from my flying job, can't find anyone to help me get it running, and it continues to sit. I would love for someone to make repairs and fly it home. I bought it for $24,000, in working condition, but will accept far less. My flying days are over. I want someone to give it the care it needs.
Lawrence Hargis, home phone 520-432-9099. Cell is unreliable in our canyon, but it is 831-539-6378.
hatz215

Re: Hatz CB-1, serial number 18, For Sale

Post by hatz215 »

I remember going to Morristown, TN to look at Ernie's ship while we were building ours. Early 80's.

Steve
Dennis B

Re: Hatz CB-1, serial number 18, For Sale

Post by Dennis B »

Is this CB-1 still for sale? I would love to see pictures, and I have a 24' enclosed Trailor if I took off the wings do you think it will fit?

Last bumped by Rick@k23 on Mon May 23, 2022 2:01 pm.