ajustable horizontal stab .... again

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
gaylonhpugh

ajustable horizontal stab .... again

Post by gaylonhpugh »

hey everybody

I've searched thru all the back issues and forums I could find for details on building an adjustable horz. stab. I saw the one by Randy Brooks but it was not a good reprod and was unclear. Can anybody clarify? A picture would be worth a thousand words to me (sorry couldn't help myself). Anyhoo I'm putting a strong 0-320 in and would like to hear how far ... how much ...the stab on others planes was adjusted to compensate. Probably all will fly a little different but a starting point would be nice as well as ideas on how to build one.

The fuselage was built to plans (cb-1) so it has the diagonal bracing from the horiz. stab member to the vertical fin spar which will have to be dealt with to make the stab member adjustable in height ( or even to lower it without making it adjustable). Was that diagonal just to provide an attach point for an alum. cover for the triangular hole?.....Or is it structural?.....was it left off in the Classic plans?

Not knowing exactly how the plane will fly..... having the stab adjustable seems the best way to go to be sure to be able to neutralize the trim in level flight. I also read somewhere back in the issues someone said something about the vertical fins offset would need to be different for a larger motor than original. I'd like to hear any thoughts on that too. I know some of the guys had trouble adjusting the stab after their planes were finished and I just thought to get'er done before the skin goes on and covers everything up and then I find out it needs fixed.

Thanks guys for listening
gaylon
wassbiplane

Re: ajustable horizontal stab .... again

Post by wassbiplane »

[img

You are looking upward, forward is to the right---to adjust the stab incidence , re-arrange the stack of washers/spacers
above & below the tab protruding from the bottom if the upper longeron. there are two supports, one on each side of the
fuselage-(the right side bolt is in the upper RH side of the picture)---MAKE CERTAIN you safety the heads of the bolts when
you're done.-----I did the front mount of the rudder in similar fashion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gaylonhpugh

Post by gaylonhpugh »

Thanks for the good pic. That's a good looking setup and I can do that. About the angle braces I've been looking at uncovered fuselage pics and it seems like everyone just eliminated them. They don't look to be structural so I don't see why not. About doing your "front rudder mount" the same way I"m lost again. You wouldn't have a pic of that would you? Don't think I know what it is. Do you mean the front mount of the stab?
Gaylon
wassbiplane

Post by wassbiplane »

The KD stabilizer/fin brace wires are angled fore & aft--this results in pulling the stabilizer backwards at the tips.
I was adjusting these wires and walked past the rear stabilizer spar (tube) and they were swept back like a jet plane!
Hence the addition of the diagonal wire.
If you cover the surfaces before tensioning the brace wires, the fabric probably takes the load--but that's no good!
I can now grab the end of the stabilizer & shake the whole plane w/o any flexing of the empenage.
Also, the rudder fin got distorted and needed a diagonal brace too.

I haven't looked at the Hatz tail assy,but if the brace wires are all in a true vertical plane, then these extra braces would
not be necessary. Jerry -----Yes, the front mounting for the fin

will take some more pix this afternoon & post
wassbiplane

Post by wassbiplane »

P1000754.-side view-1.JPG
P1000754.-side view-1.JPG
Again, this is a Kelly D & not a hatz---but similar...

WELL, iF IDA KNOWED 3 WAS THE MAX, IDA PICKED A COUPLA DIFFERENT PIX--the braces were added AFTER the panels were built, otherwise, I could have made the attachments a little better,or simpler.

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL & i'LL FWD THEM TO YOU..(damn caps lock key!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gaylonhpugh

Post by gaylonhpugh »

Wassbiplane....I PM'ed you my email. Thanks for the pics.
Gaylon
wassbiplane

Post by wassbiplane »

Gaylon
Couldn't get the PM to work---have a few more pix showing end attachments,etc. wassbiplaneattds.net