Closing ends of aileron corrugations

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
splischke

Closing ends of aileron corrugations

Post by splischke »

Hi folks,

Attached is a grainy picture of Ron Sieck's Hatz Classic aileron. You can see that the ends of the corrugations are closed. Ron told me he did this with a V notching cutter and something about a bolt. Even after Ron's explanation, I still can't quite visualize how it's done. Can someone please explain the process -- hopefully in pictures.

-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Plischke. Building Hatz Classic #86 from plans. See http://www.thehatz.com
RSouthard

Re: Closing ends of aileron corrugations

Post by RSouthard »

Scott,

I had spoken with this gentleman who rebiulds all types of aluminum control surfaces about building our ailerons before I decided to go with wood/fabric. He is very knowledgable and may be able to help with your question. The following is his contact info: R J Dauhn - R.J. DAUHN AIRCRAFT, LLC, Owner - located Fruitland Park, FL USA • Telephone: 352-348-7070

I went onto Han and Sam's website again too and see a few pictures of them closing the ends. I clicked on their aileron section and thumbed through and found the pictures I'm speaking of near the end. I hope this may help.
splischke

Post by splischke »

Thanks for the info Ron. Ron Sieck wrote me yesterday and said he'll be sending a drawing to show how to close the ends. He also said the V notcher used is the N1 Hand Notcher from Aircraft Tool Supply Company. I'll post photos of how it's done when I get to this step.

-Scott

Scott Plischke. Building Hatz Classic #86 from plans. See http://www.thehatz.com
splischke

Post by splischke »

With guidance from Ron Sieck, I completed my first aileron. I thought I'd share with you how to close the corrugation ends. Attached below are pictures that will give you a pictorial how-to.

The only tools needed are the V notcher ($42), a hardware store 1/2" bolt to make a tool to close the notch and a small hammer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splischke

Post by splischke »

Finished aileron...
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Beautiful!

My old Luscombe had a collection of chunks of hair and skin removed from my and passenger's scalps, thanks to those open ended corrugated aileron skins. I learned to duck when walking under the wing.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Lookin' great, Scott! Love the pics on your website.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

I have ailerons on the lower wing only and having walked into the trailing edge of a Skyhawk aileron, i know what kind of pain those raw edges can dispatch. So having these slice-n-dice ailerons on my project, I purchased two pieces of Cessna flap trailing edge which is bulbed and tapered. I sandwiched the Cessna part between the two skins and riveted. That took care of the sharp edge and added stiffness. Being low, I think the trailing edge treatment will make the ailerons more durable and safer for people who accidentally scuff up against.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!