Extended Range

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Nick

Extended Range

Post by Nick »

Hello folks,

I'm thinking about extending the range of my Hatz for a variety of reasons, flying to Oshkosh at least once among them, and that's a LONG way from Deep Cove, BC.
I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts on this. I've read of people adding an extra tank above the passenger leg area. There will no doubt be weight and balance considerations, plus the safety of keeping a fuel tank in the cockpit. Getting an extra dozen gallons in there would be helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nick
JBMoore

Re: Extended Range

Post by JBMoore »

I put a 5 gallon tank up front on top of the cross braceing with a fill spout in the center of the combing. The selector valve is on the upright tube above the passenger's right rudder pedal and the selector handle is by my right knee. With the O-290, this gives me an extra 30 minutes and I plan on two hour legs max.... which is about right for my backside comfort.
Jim Wright added a 10 gallon tank under the cross braceing above the passenger's rudder pedals for his O-320 and he figures about 45 minutes for his. His fill tube is off to the right side and is accessable from the ground.... mine you need the step ladder to reach and see.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.