CB-1 PROGRESS

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
kconner

CB-1 PROGRESS

Post by kconner »

Finishing up the last piece of fabric on the center section today and covering is complete. All tail feathers and ailerons are stitched and the lower right wing is on the saw horses and ready to stitch. The floor boards, throttle and trim control levers, Scott mastercylinders, control sticks, rudder pedals, all control cables and fuel shut-off system were installed before the fuselage was covered. I made templates to locate the exits for the rudder cables and brake lines. All fabrication is completely done including fuel and brake lines and windshields. Will build a temporary paint booth in the hangar in the next two weeks. I should have all the tapes and stitching done by then. I bought a reconditioned Sensenich 76AM-2-54 metal prop for the 0290-D2. This is my first time doing any fabric work and have enjoyed every minute. The Airtech manual has very limited information but the Polyfiber manual has been a great help. Hope to get her painted over the winter then will have fabricate the Cub type cowl. I bought a Univair Cub nose-bowl which gives me a good jump-start. Love workin on the Hatz. Started the project 10 years ago but I hope to fly this summer.

Kevin Conner
M Lightsey

Re: CB-1 PROGRESS

Post by M Lightsey »

Keep up the pace, we've got some flying to do this summer!
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Love hearing about your progress, Kevin. Gives me flashbacks...the good kind! Keep hammering down!

I have the cowling to paint, touch up some nicks and scratches, and I need a spinner. Just found a crack in my exhaust and had a local street rodder tig it up for me.

Hope to fly some formation with you this summer at Brodhead!
kconner

Post by kconner »

Center section is covered and all stitching is complete. Will do the final shrinking on the fuselage today then everything will be ready to tape. Hey Mark L. I stitched the upper and lower ribs on the vertical stab so the fabric will not pull away during final shrinking. That transition from fuselage to vertical fin turned out well. Will start laying tapes on the fuselage this evening. Hoping to have all the tapes down by next week-end. By the way, my wife Cindi worked with me stitching and was very good at it. I talked with Rick Hansen and his wife did all of his stitching. I think the best idea is to be married before you start covering. The girls are pretty good at it.

Kevin