Concealing Wiring/Tubing Along Cockpit Longerons

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Concealing Wiring/Tubing Along Cockpit Longerons

Post by Ebby »

Hello All,

I'm about done with my wiring and need some help on a good way to conceal the wiring I have running along the upper longeron in the cockpit area. In looking at the Makelan DVD and other builders pages it appears there is some sort of cover over the longeron between the instrument panel and turtle deck. I can't tell if its fabric carried up and over from the side or metal or what it is. Could I get some suggestions from the gaggle?

Regards,
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
mtaylor

Re: Concealing Wiring/Tubing Along Cockpit Longerons

Post by mtaylor »

Yes, Ebby, I have fabric that wraps from the lower longeron, up over a top false outer longeron, turns into the cockpit area, and is glued to the top longeron as in the Classic. My wires fit nicely under that cover. I welded standoffs to the longeron to attach the false longeron to, and I drilled a hole in these standoffs to attach the wire bundle to using zip ties. With the CB1 plans built version the top longeron IS the top of the side fuselage so there is no "shelf" to hide the wires under. Maybe something could be rigged up for that use-maybe there is room on the inside/cockpit side of the longeron.

Hope this helps...
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

Hi Mark,

Is the fabric that wraps around the longeron and false longeron a separate piece of fabric or is it part of the fabric covering the side of the fuselage? Thanks much.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

On NX1279, we attaced a piece of wood to the upper longerons by wrapping it with fabric finishing tapes. That wood is used to attach the cockpit sheet metal on the outside. On the inside, we bent some aluminum panels, about 1"x 4". Those were covered with leather and screwed to the wood. The 3" or so that they extend below the longerons created a hiding place for most of the wiring and plumbing. It also gives the cockpits a little bit more of a "finished" look.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I wasn't very clear, was I. It's the fabric covering of the fuselage. The top of the fuselage fabric passes up and over the outer false longeron and into the cabin area where it glues to the top longeron. I didn't build a Classic, I built a CB1 that looks like a classic by incorporating the basics such as a wider fuselage (except I used wood bulkheads), a larger fuel tank to better feed an 0-320, and piano hinge ailerons (except I built wooden ailerons as per plans). My false longeron is made of 3/32" X 1" X 1" angle aluminum and begins at the point where the front turtle deck bulkhead sits on the top longeron and is flush with the longeron. It angles outward from the longeron as you move forward towards the firewall. The fabric that overlaps the false longeron and the longeron creates a shelf inside the cockpit.