Kit vs. plans

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Tony_Fletcher

Kit vs. plans

Post by Tony_Fletcher »

I'm curious to know how many have started with plans vs. the Makelan kit materials.

As a first time builder, I feel the kit may be a better option. Is building from plans too ambitious for a first project?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tony Fletcher
JBMoore

Re: Kit vs. plans

Post by JBMoore »

I built a LB-1 as a first time'er from plans and did just fine. In either case, you must make a committment of time and resources and be willing to carry it to completion.... an awsome feeling when you get there!!!

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
dougm

Post by dougm »

I'm building for the first time as well and am going completely from plans. I'm not concerned about it being "too big" as a first time project.

Regarding the "kit"... it is important to understand that there is no "kit" for the Hatz. If you are looking to order premade parts and an instruction manual it isn't going to happen. There are sub-assemblies available that will save you time (Makelan builds many assemblies for the Classic and you could order many of the components pre-built), but no formal kit with step-by-step instructions as in a RV, Glastar, etc..

Besides, there is a great sense of accomplishment in building your own parts. And then there's the ongoing question of time vs. $$$ - Spend $$$ on a component and save time or build a component (save $$$) and take more time??? Decisions, decisions...
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

A lot has to do with time vs money also one must honestly evaluate their building skills. I decided to go plans built based on several restoration projects (non-aircraft) and years of woodworking. One big glitch was I couldn't weld. That was a steep learning curve and took a lot of practice before I put flame to metal...er..GTAW to metal.

As stated in a previous post there is NO manual. I have relied on this forum, my EAA chapter, Tony Bingelis' books and father time to allow me to absorb, think and then act. Half your friends will be awestruck that you are taking on such a project and the other half will just shake their heads.

If you would like some interesting reading on home building check out http://www.airbum.com/articles.html#How at Budd Davisson's 'Airbum' website. His several part article on building did it for me. Which ever way you go, components or scratch you are in for a most rewarding experience. Good luck and Make Haste Slowly.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Tony, I toyed with the same question, probably every builder has. I am a first timer and am going completely by plans. What I've found to date (note I am no-where near finished) is that it is easier than I thought, more fun than I thought, and its even going quicker than I thought. I didnt know how to weld, and I found that to be a very enjoyable experience, and now really like to weld. It is a very long term project, and many could not stick with it long enough. I have experienced exactly what Ebby has mentioned...either folks admire your gumption, or they think you are one of those wierdo's building a rocket ship in his garage.
Take a look at my builders log and you will see that if you take it one step at a time, it is not nearly so daunting. My approach has been to start a page of plans and make it a goal to finish that one sheet. There are only about 26 sheets to a set of plans (depending on which one you build). My builders site is linked from the builders sites, I am CB-1 plans #910. My biggest regret to date is starting years later than I should have.
Dave
PA-12
Tony_Fletcher

Post by Tony_Fletcher »

Thanks everyone for the great info. I particularly enjoyed the "Airbum" info. Great info presented in a real down-to-earth style.

I'm glad to hear that the plans route is not as ambitious as I thought. I think all along the most appealing this about this project is that I would do it all and learn new skills. The wood elements don't worry me, but welding does. And, it sounds like that's a skill that can be learned through experience too.

The only thing that might be trouble is my one-car garage. It's actually plenty long as it's about one-and-a-half garages long, but only one wide. The wing construction is certainly doable, but the fuse could be tricky. I guess we will see.

My son and I are putting our Oshkosh plans together. We plan on camping most of the week. I hope I can see some Hatz ships up close and meet the builders.

Thanks again everyone. Until my next question! Tony
dougm

Post by dougm »

I'm building in a one car garage too... not ideal, but it's doable. Well... actually it's a one car garage with an attached shop, but I still have the same space problem. It'll work.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
Tony_Fletcher

Post by Tony_Fletcher »

DHinesCB1 wrote: Take a look at my builders log
Dave: Where do I find your builder's log?
HatzLymanC

Post by HatzLymanC »

Here is the link to his webpages:

http://websites.expercraft.com/davidhines/

Lyman
dougm

Post by dougm »

Check out the "Builder's Pages" link off the Hatz Biplane menu for a list of builder's.

http://www.hatzbiplane.com/builders.html
Doug
Hatz Webmaster