control surface deflections and trim question

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Paul Uhlig

control surface deflections and trim question

Post by Paul Uhlig »

Does anyone know typical control surface deflections for the CB-1 and/or Classic? I can't find anything in the CB-1 plans or in a quick search of the Forum, except for a discussion of 2 1/2 inches up and 2 inches down at the trailing edge for the ailerons in the Classic plans. I am working on the elevator right now and would like to fine tune things. Any measurements of elevator deflections that someone knows works well in a flying CB-1 would be great. I'm also curious about what people have found about the range of deflections you see of the trim tab in normal flight airspeeds, and if it usually is pretty neutral or if you need constant up or down. Billy Dawson told me several years ago that he changed the angle of incidence of his horizontal stabilizer (increased it, I think) after building his first airplane because he had a constant trim requirment. He thought it might be engine dependent. I'm planning on an 0-235. Any insights would be appreciated.Thanks, Paul
splischke

Re: control surface deflections and trim question

Post by splischke »

Paul,

'Classic' plans show 30 degrees up and 20 degrees down for elevator deflection.

-Scott
Scott Plischke. Building Hatz Classic #86 from plans. See http://www.thehatz.com
Paul Uhlig

Re: control surface deflections and trim question

Post by Paul Uhlig »

Thanks Scott. Very helpful. I am enjoying following your beautiful work on your website. Paul