Baby got a new pair of shoes

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
M Lightsey

Baby got a new pair of shoes

Post by M Lightsey »

Getting ready for this summer's flyin season.
Junction City in less than a month, who else is going?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdgleitz

Re: Baby got a new pair of shoes

Post by jdgleitz »

The shoes look good Mark. I plan on being at Junction City. There will be two of us leaving Longmont, CO Thursday morning and returning Sunday morning. If you cross close to Denver, feel free to join us. If not we'll see you there.

JD
JD Gleitz
HC-129
dougm

Post by dougm »

Lookin' good! And whose Indian is that in the background? How about a pic of that too? :D
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Paul Uhlig

Post by Paul Uhlig »

Very nice Mark. Even though I live in Kansas I will be working that weekend and won't be able to come up. But if you are making your way up from the south and would like a good place to refuel your airplane and yourself, consider 1K1, Stearman Field just northeast of Wichita. There is a good aviation restaurant on the field and most days the pattern will have something fun happening. There are about seven Stearman biplanes on the field, several Pitts Specials, plenty of tailwheels and a lot of great people. There is a grass landing area just to the west of the paved runway. Also, a really fascinating airfield is in Halstead, Kansas, about 35 miles northwest ofWichta, 20 miles directly west of EWK, Newton, KS. Landing on the grass and walking into that hangar is like going seventy years back in time. The airport was run for years by Gus Wiebe, who was known far and wide as THE wood aircraft guru until his death last year in his 80s. Gus and his sons would drive every year or so to the Pacific Northwest and buy Sitaka Spruce that they trailered home and milled in the hangar. They heated the hangar with scraps they burned in a homemade wood burning stove. The spars for my Hatz came from Gus' last trip. Every year in June, including last year, Gus and his sons celebrated his 65th birthday with a barbeque, fly in and airport party. I think he had about eighteen 65th birthday parties. It was an amazing tradition and they are a wonderful family. His son, Mark, is a great mechanic and IA who continues the tradition of running the airfield. You would enjoy stopping.

Paul Uhlig
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

Not sure yet on the route of flight, it'll be mostly weather driven. The southern route has the lowest terrain, but does add quite a few miles. Just have to allow plenty of time either way.
I appreciate the airport tips, they sound like fun stops.
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Looks good Mark. Saw your ship in the new Sport Aviation.

Steve
kconner

Post by kconner »

Mark those wheel covers are classic and VERY cool. Would be great to know if there is any increase in your cruise speed. Also, tell me about your exhaust system. Would like to find someone to build the same set-up for my 0290-D2.

Kevin
kconner

Post by kconner »

Hello Paul,

I was in Wichita last week at Flight Safety and had some spare time and drove up to Hallstead. Had a good visit with one of the Wiebe's (the one that rides the scooter). There will be two Hatz Biplanes and my J3 stopping at Stearman on Fri. morning for some gas and breakfast on our way to Junction City. Planning on doing a Hatz forum on Sat. during the fly-in. I think we will have a good showing of Hatz Biplanes.

Kevin Conner
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

I don't think the pants are helping my cruise speed, but they're not hurting it either.

I did a little welding job for a guy and showed him the pants I'd been making. He starting telling me about this set of aluminum pants he'd aquired although he didn't have a particular need for them. He just thought they were cool. Anyway, he brought them out and we worked out a deal. They're Consolidair Model 17's. Turns out they were used on Pipers, Aeroncas, etc.

A little smoothing, bracket building and fitting and they look right at home on the Hatz.

The nice thing about them is that they're held on with 4 Dzus fasteners on the inside and 1 bolt into the axle nut, so they're really easy to remove if necessary.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Mark,
Is your windscreen triangular two pane?