Hatz/Samson

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
David Adam

Hatz/Samson

Post by David Adam »

I've done some searching on this site regarding the installation of a W670 Continental on a Hatz but they are all under the premise of "Upscaling" a Hatz to fit the engine. For years I've had a scaled "Down" Samson in mind based on using the 250hp W670 Continental Tank engine. Looking through the usual suspects of small-ish homebuilt biplanes, the Hatz keeps coming up to the top of the list. I remember a Kinner powered Hatz coming into Santa Paula years ago. I first thought it was a Fleet. Man - What a rocket ship! That thing left SZP on a mission! A W670 would be a lot of engine on the front of a Hatz - but that's the point. A 985 was/is a LOT of engine on the front of Samson - but that's the point, what an awesome ship. That's what I'd like to reproduce on a scaled down version of Samson based on a 250hp W670. The W670 is about 130 pounds (give/take) heavier than the larger Warners.

So, that brings me to the question; has anyone considered "Beefing Up" an existing Hatz without scaling it up to accept a W670? Also, I'm not that familiar with the Hatz family of models, which would be the most appropriate model to start with for this mission?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

David
M Lightsey

Re: Hatz/Samson

Post by M Lightsey »

David,
I think I have what you need hanging in my hangar.
It's a single place fuse designed to use stock Great Lakes wings. It's set up to use Cessna style spring steel gear and was originally going to use one of the big flat six cylinders, but I'd always thought it would be perfect with a Continental or Jacobs Radial.
The Hatz is a great design, but not for an engine that big.
Mark