Keeping stringers straight

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
splischke

Keeping stringers straight

Post by splischke »

Any clever ways to keep the wood fuselage stringers aligned and straight during covering? Mine have warped a little over time.

-Scott
Scott Plischke. Building Hatz Classic #86 from plans. See http://www.thehatz.com
dougm

Re: Keeping stringers straight

Post by dougm »

Are you saying your stringers warped prior to covering or during the covering process?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
splischke

Post by splischke »

Warped before covering. I was thinking of tying them up with rib stitch cord or making small wood blocks to hold them in place. After covering, I think the tautness of the fabric and the glue will keep the stringers from moving. I'm just wondering what others have done.

-Scott
Scott Plischke. Building Hatz Classic #86 from plans. See http://www.thehatz.com
dougm

Post by dougm »

Well, I'm obviously not there yet so I can't comment from experience, but could you make a couple of formers to attach where the warping occurs to pull them back into alignment? I don't know how comfortable I'd feel relying on the fabric to keep them in line, but I guess it would depend on where and how bad the warp is.

I assume you've already sealed the stringers, right? If not you could try to steam them and "unwarp" them.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

Fuselage78 03-16-07.jpg.JPG
Hi Doug,
We cut 1 inch strips of 1/16 plywood and glued them from the top longeron across all the stringers and down to the bottom longeron. This held them in place very nice. We used two on each side behind the cockpit.
John Hanson HC-012
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splischke

Post by splischke »

Thanks John. I like the idea and will likely do exactly the same.

-Scott
splischke

Post by splischke »

Hi John,

The 1/16" ply vertical supports worked great. I had to use two per bay but I managed to get the stringers nice and straight.

Again, thanks for the idea.

-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TangoWhiskey

Post by TangoWhiskey »

splischke wrote:Hi John,

The 1/16" ply vertical supports worked great. I had to use two per bay but I managed to get the stringers nice and straight.

Again, thanks for the idea.

-Scott
Scott, did you just clamp those in place as the glue set up, or use some other method?
Troy W. - Fort Worth TX - Hatz Classic 142
"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?!" - Seal, Crazy, 1990
splischke

Post by splischke »

I used cyanoacrylate to temporarily hold a ply strip to a stringer. The CA bond isn't very good but this worked in my favor since I was able to relocate the stringer if it was off. Once the entire stringer was straight, I epoxied pieces of triangular spruce stock to make the bond more permanent. The picture above doesn't show these spruce pieces. I hope this makes sense.

-Scott
TangoWhiskey

Post by TangoWhiskey »

splischke wrote:I used cyanoacrylate to temporarily hold a ply strip to a stringer. The CA bond isn't very good but this worked in my favor since I was able to relocate the stringer if it was off. Once the entire stringer was straight, I epoxied pieces of triangular spruce stock to make the bond more permanent. The picture above doesn't show these spruce pieces. I hope this makes sense.

-Scott
Makes perfect sense! Thanks. I was thinking that clamps might cause more bending/twisting, so this solution makes total sense... Simple and effective.
Troy W. - Fort Worth TX - Hatz Classic 142
"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?!" - Seal, Crazy, 1990