Turtledeck and Stringers

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
cattrell

Turtledeck and Stringers

Post by cattrell »

I am having a real time trying to get the shape of my fuse the way I want it. Does anyone have any pictures of how they tapered the rear of teh turtledeck and the side stringers into the rear of the fuse? I am building a wood turtledeck with stringers just like the sides all the way up and over.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff Cattrell
mmcgrew

Re: Turtledeck and Stringers

Post by mmcgrew »

I tried a lot of different combinations of formers and stringers before I settled on my configuration. Note that I added a wood stringer on the longerarm. This actually eliminates the flat section in the fabric and makes the top to sides transition more rounded. Also note the ends of the metal stringers are cut short and do not tuch the fabric.

Michael
N838MM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

Another view

Michael
N838MM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cattrell

Post by cattrell »

Thanks ! Thats just what I needed to see. One questions though, do you have a detail shot of how you joined the stringers at the tailpost? I would love to see that.

Thanks again!

Jeff Cattrell
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

The wood stringers float against the tail post and are held together with light weight aluminum composite and space with a vertical supports.

Michael
N838MM
Last edited by mmcgrew on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

Another pic - Forgot to weld frame around elevator opening. White dust is paint sanding dust.

Michael
N818MM
cattrell

Post by cattrell »

Thanks again!

Thats a huge help!

Jeff Cattrell