Magnetos

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
kconner

Magnetos

Post by kconner »

I have a set of Bendix mags which came with the 0-290 I bought for my CB-1. The engine is overhauled and mounted and it's time to decide to either go with re-building the Bendix or buy a new Slick kit. The rotors in the Bendix mags are outdated so the cost will be about the same either way I go. I'm not knowledgeable about engines or mags. Looking for some direction as I'm not far from being ready to run the engine.

Thanks, Kevin Conner
jwhanson

Re: Magnetos

Post by jwhanson »

Hi Kevin,
I would suggest the Slicks. I installed a set on my Parakeet (O-200) in 1987 and they are still running fine. No maintenance issues. We have Slicks on the Hatz Classic too.
John Hanson
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I put Slicks on my O-290 because there were no mags with the engine when I bought it. I've got 500 hrs on them and I'm in the process of performing the recommended check.... no problems found and they've worked fine. The only issue I've had was a lead rubbed through and grounded out against an induction tube. An installation issue not a mag problem.
As for Bendix, if they are the shoe box type, some people swear by them. They are bullet proof, heavier than the Slicks and I've heard parts are less expensive, which is a relative term.
So, flip a coin and go for it.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

My 0-320 had
slicks when I bought it, one almost new and one had been gutted. A new slick and I'm running smooth. I'd go Slicks.
kconner

Post by kconner »

Thanks for the input. I'm going to buy the Slick kit. I've always heard Slicks perform well and last a long time. The exhaust system is done in my project and I will finish the cowl tomorrow. Next is to do some sanding on the sheet metal parts and re-spray. I'm not happy with the finish. Final assembly will begin next couple of weeks and hope to fly by Spring. So far the Hatz is coming together nicely. Will try to get some photos up soon.

Kevin Conner
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

The advantage of Slicks used to be that they were cheaper, but not anymore. The Bendix have the advantage of being serviceable, so if the price is the same, I'd keep the Bendix. I just went through the process on the Monocoupe and ended up staying with the Bendix. At the end of the day, they're both good mags.
Mark
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I'd caution with the Slicks that have been manufactured recently...the engine company I work for has had many service requests due to the Slicks drifting on internal timing after a few hours running. They've traced it to internal gear material changes but I haven't seen them fix anything yet. As usual, your mileage may vary ;)

-Jud