Elevator control tube connection...

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
beechdrvr

Elevator control tube connection...

Post by beechdrvr »

Curious what others have done. The plans call for a piece of 3/4" sq tubing to be affixed to the end of a piece of 3/4" round tube. That presents a sort of round peg, square hole scenerio.
IMG_8216.jpg
My question is, why can't it be something along the lines of what the plans for the Acrosport show. I really so no apparent reason it couldn't be. Am I missing something?
IMG_8217.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitshifter

Re: Elevator control tube connection...

Post by Bitshifter »

I thought the same until I made the part. When you cut the V into the square tube it gives a perfect line to weld on. I think it's an easier weld than the drawing you referenced.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
beechdrvr

Re: Elevator control tube connection...

Post by beechdrvr »

I saw your pictures. I think I may just construct it like the control yokes. Mill a radius in the end, bend a u-Channel then straps welded along side. I just can’t see any engineering benefit/difference from either of the drawings. Guess just different ways of skinning the same cat.