Center Section Trailing Edge Material

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
TulBiplane

Center Section Trailing Edge Material

Post by TulBiplane »

I am preping to order material for my center section trailing edge. The plans specifically call for mahogany, which was a surprise (I was expecting to build it out of spruce cap strips). So now that I am off balance, I am filled with questions....
Why are the plans so specific about mahogany in this one area? Are we talking mahogany ply or solid mahogany? 1/8 inch strips or 1/16? etc.

The question really is....What did other people do?

- Brad
Hatz Classic #0124
stearmoth

Re: Center Section Trailing Edge Material

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Brad,

We thought that mahagony is not mandatory and used just fine pine instead. It must be a wood that is easy to carve as there is no critical strength reason. According to the plans it will be sheeted on top and bottom with plywood anyway. Using a light wood is preferable, we think although.
Happy building

Hans & Sam, Switzerland
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I did the same...1/8" strips of pine glued up in a jig, then sanded to shape with a hand held belt sander. Easy and fun! The biggest issue is deciding where to place the hand holds/ one at each tip, one in the middle with one at the left tip, just one in the middle??? I chose one in the middle and one on the left tip.

Mark T
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

I used Mahagony and covered the center section with aluminum.

Michael
N838MM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

That mahogany sure is pretty wood!

Mark T