Introductions

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
cptbach

Introductions

Post by cptbach »

Just to get this started, I thought it might be handy to have a short intro so we know who's actively building what and where.

I have old serial #206, restoring the wreckage in Southeast Wisconsin. Currently on the gear, floors in, O-320B installed, cowling and sheet metal nearly done. The wing ribs are done, spars blank, most wing metal done. Tail and struts done.

As soon as I finish another Pietenpol and roll it out of the shop, I'll get back to the Hatz.

My first Hatz ride was with John Hatz and I had the honor of flying in John's missing man formation at Blakesburg in his old Cub, Lyman at the helm. Since then, I've flown Jim Hammond's and Ray Hill's fine airplanes.

Looking forward to reading what you all have and meeting at Brodhead,

Rob Bach
"They say the first thing to go is your memory. I can't remember what the second thing is..."
Bill Rusk

Re: Introductions

Post by Bill Rusk »

I was building a Hatz, from about 97 to about 2004, then got sidetracked with a Supercub project. In a moment of weakness, I sold my Hatz project. I would still like to build a Hatz someday and perhaps after the Cub is done I will get started. I have been fortunate to be a part of the Hatz group for a while and just can't imagine knowing a nicer group of people. I also have the opportunity to share a Hatz built by Mehlin Smith by giving rides whenever time allows. If you are a Hatz builder and in the area please feel free to stop by, and weather permitting, perhaps we can go for a ride In Mehlins Hatz. Rob, do you still have my SWA tie? We swapped ties on a deadhead years ago when you were flying for Reno Air.

Bill

N5109X

Post by N5109X »

Jim Harkema checking in with the new website and forum; great job to those who have produced these!

The Harkema Hatz (#513) has been in cold storage in Dad's garage for a number of years while major life events took place and he and I completed a ground up restoration of a 1969 Citabria ECA.
Good Pic.JPG
The Hatz will be moved later this summer from Cleveland to Troy, OH (37I) so that work can once again commence!

We hope to visit some of the gatherings with the Citabria this summer to help us once again become Hatz builders.

Best regards,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyshreve

Post by garyshreve »

This is the best place I've seen for new guy introductions....so, if it's in the wrong spot....hopefully a moderator can move it.

I just bought a project, sight unseen, from California. Here's the ad...

The fuselage is all welded up, the spars are done, the ribs are done (beautiful carpentry work on all wood stuff, top notch)The seat pans are done, turtle deck complete, etc. No firewall forward stuff.

Includes full set of plans for both the Hatz CB-1, and the Hatz Classic. Also includes the ribbed aluminum aileron stock (from Cessna I believe.)

If you are not familiar with the Hatz I suggest checking the following web sites for background, this is a pretty cool 1930's style biplane, about 75% the size of a Waco.

http://www.hatzclassic.com/index.html

http://www.hatzbiplane.com/

In 4 years I have not found any time to work on this project, and have decided I would rather have the hangar space. I am asking $X,XXX or best offer for the project, buyer to pick up in person or arrange for shipping.
wif
So....with a phone call, I now own the project...but must move it from California to Texas. My wife and I plan to make a mini vacation out of it, and take advantage of the sights along the way.

I've known the seller for about 10 years, otherwise I'm not so sure I would just jump on the purchase. I trust his judgement, and understand his ad...no time to work on it...want the hangar space back.

SO....................................

I've started looking through all the forums here, gleaning whatever information I can find. I understand that most of it makes no sense to me because I'm not there, yet. But, hopefully, when I am in the midst of a 2am building session, and I come up against a problem, I'll think...."you know, I read something about that somewhere..."

The best part is the many, many pictures of other builders' projects. I don't know what serial number the plans are yet, I haven't asked. I believe everything has been built as a Classic, not a CB-1. At any rate...my learning curve will be straight up for a while. I've flown planes since I was 16, 41 now. Been a plane mechanic since 1988. This is the first plane to build (although at least two other people got it to where it is, now).

I can't wait to get the project home to Texas, then the real challenge of sorting things out, and figuring out where to go next will begin.

I'm happy to have found this forum, and sadly admit that I'll be a taker of knowledge more than a giver....but I'll share what I can, when I can. Perhaps someday, I'll be able to turn that around and help the next new guys.

Glad to be here!

Gary
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Glad to have you and welcome!!!

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
splischke

Post by splischke »

garyshreve wrote:<snip>I can't wait to get the project home to Texas <snip>
If you're traveling on I-40 through Amarillo, you're welcome to visit my shop and see my Hatz Classic under construction (http://www.thehatz.com).

-Scott
Scott Plischke. Building Hatz Classic #86 from plans. See http://www.thehatz.com
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Amarillo by morning...... passed through many times on my travels from Indy to El Paso many moons ago.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Met Dudley Kelly at Tullahoma in 1979, built #215 from 1980 to 1985. Currently recovering, hope to fly again late this year. This Hatz has been flown by three generations.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/HATZ-CB- ... 3dcc957504

Steve G