What am I doing?!!?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
tlandrum

What am I doing?!!?

Post by tlandrum »

OK, I have a confession... I really have no idea what I am doing.

I went to Osh 2 years ago and had so much fun building a rib I decided to forgo the kit route (Rans Coyote), and build something really fun... the Hatz!

Well my last rib is in the jig... and I have no idea what I am going to do next.

OK, that is not totally true. I am thinking about wooden ailerons (I prefer the look, and I like working with the wood). And I think I can start making those (someone feel free to talk me out of doing the wooded ailerons, but its my plan as of now... Ron?).

I also do not have a big enough space for big parts just yet... so I was thinking about just starting on the forms for the longerons, make all the false ribs, maybe even the tip bow... but I am really coming to the point that I just can't envision where to go next.

So....
one... suggestions?!!?!?
two....... Anyone around Oklahoma further along than I am who would let me fly in and poke around your project? I think I talked to someone out in Amarillo last year, but I can't figure out where that info was.
three.... Am I nuts for even trying to do this!??!?! I love the work, and project... but just have so little experience doing anything like this!

Thank you all, I just hope there is someone else out there who has never built an airplane, and saying "yeah, I was have been there... multiple times during this project!" and not "what is this yahoo doing trying to build a ping pong table, much less an airplane!?!?"

Thanks,

Tre'
Tre' Landrum
Plans number HCO157
http://www.facebook.com/TresHatzClassic
Bitshifter

Re: What am I doing?!!?

Post by Bitshifter »

Tre'

I started out much as you are. I didn't want to make a big investment and I didn't have any room. I built the ribs first along with all the pieces that could be made on a router. When I was done I stacked them up on a small table in my basement and said whats next. I decided on the center section. It had all the structures and building skills needed for the rest of the project and it wasn't to big. I discovered that unlike the ribs that were just work, the center section was something that I thought about all day, it really consumed me and I enjoyed it greatly. When it was done I realized that I was hooked. It is now hanging on a wall in my garage along with two wings and the other wings are on the ceiling above the garage door, I still have no room but I am progressing.
It would be my advice not to build the ailerons before the wing. I think that it will be easier to get the ailerons to fit the wing than to get the wing to fit the ailerons. As hard as I tried none on the wings are exactly perfect and I think the ailerons will need a little "fitting" for each wing.
I did build a good strong table and I would suggest that you do the same. I spent the money and used good plywood on the top which has come in very handy for keeping notes and drawing on. I drew out the bow for the center section and bent them on the table, when I was done I sanded everything off and built the wing tips the same way. I did build all the wing tips before I started the wings.

Don't worry I never built a plane before, I have never flown in a Hatz and my friends think I should be building an RV.

Ed White
http://edwinwhite.com/hatz.html
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
tlandrum

Post by tlandrum »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets asked "why don't you build an RV?" LOL
Tre' Landrum
Plans number HCO157
http://www.facebook.com/TresHatzClassic
painless

Post by painless »

As the saying goes, the way you eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Part of the fun/challenge of building an airplane is learning new skills. As you progress through your project, there will be many times where you need to step back and master a new skill, such as welding, before you move forward. Same goes for making arrangements to have the proper shop space. If there is a will, there is a way.

Having built an RV, I learned a couple basic things. First, try to do something on the airplane every day, even if it is just an hour pouring over the plans. As I always tell myself, it's not going to get built by you just looking at it. Little, short building sessions eventually get the job done. Second thing, is don't get caught up in trying to build a gold Lindy award winning airplane. The goal is to build the best, safest airplane that YOU can build. If the paint isn't perfect, or a rivet line isn't perfect, it really doesn't matter. Of course you always want to strive for perfection, but don't let falling just shy stall out your project.

Regarding your current lack of space, make all the smaller parts you need for your wings before you make one big part. There is plenty to do before it all comes together.

Hang in there. Take it one step at a time and before you know it, you'll have something that looks like a real airplane!

Regards,

Jeff Orear
Classic #138
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
dougm

Post by dougm »

I agree with Ed, don't build the ailerons before the wing. You will want to have the wing in order to fit the ailerons correctly.

One thing I did for a while is concentrate on the various smaller parts like the Flying wire lugs, aileron idler & belcrank, torque tube, etc. This allowed me to keep moving, practice my welding (before I made the parts of course ;) ), and study the plans more closely to understand how everything fit together and develop plans of what order to build certain assemblies.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster