A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

hi. New as of today, and figure I will spend the next several months scanning and reading all I can on the Hatz. Waiting for my youngest to head off to college before pulling the trigger, so for now I will just be couch flying the idea. I live in Sandwich, MA and flying a C172 out of KHYA for fun.

Been looking at building for many years, and really like the look of the Hatz Classic! I am pretty tall 6' 4", so be curious if there are any other tall builders and how they've found the Hatz Classic?

Thanks and looking forward to engaging on this forum!
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
hatz215

Re: New Member

Post by hatz215 »

I'm 6'5" and have been flying a CB-1 for thirty years. It would be nice to have "Classic" room though. Is there one close by you can try on? The FAA database lists types by county so maybe you can find one. Study and read all you can. Don't be shy about asking questions here. Lots of knowledge on this site. Good luck!

Steve G
dougm

Post by dougm »

Welcome aboard Jim! Lots of good info and very helpful folks here. Let's stay in touch and arrange a visit.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
tlandrum

Post by tlandrum »

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of helpful people here, and a lot of people have some great webpages that help a ton! Best of luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I can help with ribs... not sure about much else!! But welcome, and happy building!

Tre'
Tre' Landrum
Plans number HCO157
http://www.facebook.com/TresHatzClassic
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

hatz215 wrote:I'm 6'5" and have been flying a CB-1 for thirty years. It would be nice to have "Classic" room though. Is there one close by you can try on? The FAA database lists types by county so maybe you can find one. Study and read all you can. Don't be shy about asking questions here. Lots of knowledge on this site. Good luck!

Steve G
thanks Steve! Appreciate the info, planning to visit a classic under construction and maybe a cb-1 that's for sale nearby. I have struggled with fitting into some other experimental in the past. So real glad to hear you fit! Looking forward to nodding this for awhile, and nice to see this forum seems pretty active!
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

dougm wrote:Welcome aboard Jim! Lots of good info and very helpful folks here. Let's stay in touch and arrange a visit.
thanks Doug! Appreciate getting me set up on the forum, and thanks for all you do for the site. I will PM once my schedule is clear.
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

tlandrum wrote:Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of helpful people here, and a lot of people have some great webpages that help a ton! Best of luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I can help with ribs... not sure about much else!! But welcome, and happy building!

Tre'
thank! Looking forward to meeting folks and picking their brains. All the best
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

6'-3" and fit nicely into the back seat.... whole 'nother issue if you are talking about the fromt.
One thing about building is you can customize some things in the cockpit to fit you personally. Be sure you "try on for size" any completed plane.

Good luck and welcome Jim!

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Welcome to the forum.
I am 6'4" and 220 lbs, 210 before Thanksgiving. My Classic is far from finished but the seats and controls are in and of course I have sat in it. I have built the seat and rudder pedal locations as per the plans and feel that it is quite roomy. There is more leg room in the back seat and it would be a simple matter to move the rudder pedals forward if required, not so for the front.

Hope to see you get started.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

Thanks JB and Bitshifter! Sounds like I should fit fine. Planning on sitting in one soon just to make sure, but you guys have alleviated some of my fears.
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA