Cabane Strut Mounting

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Bitshifter

Cabane Strut Mounting

Post by Bitshifter »

It seems to me that the cabane strut mounting on the plans indicates a bushing that is inserted through a hole on the left side, passes through the cabane mount and stops against the inside wall of the strut. The hole on the outside of the strut and the mount is the OD of the bushing and the hole on the inside of the strut is the bolt OD. The bushing is then held in place by two large washers and the AN4-13A bolt. The frame shown in the drawing indicates that this is the front mount so they are washers and not the rear cabane strut supports.
I have looked at other builders and they seem to have welded the bushing to the cabane mount and slipped the strut over it. The plans sure seem to indicate that the bushing is off center and against the washer on one side and thus slipped through the strut from the outside. The plans don't seem to give any other information on the bushing that I could find.

Does anybody else see it like this?

Thanks
CabaneBushing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
jptowey2

Re: Cabane Strut Mounting

Post by jptowey2 »

Hi. haven't ordered my plans yet, just been trolling the site in the background. But for what it's worth, I read the diagram you posted in the same manner you did.

It seems site little quiet lately, hope that means lots of flying going on!

Best regards.... Jim
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I welded the tube into the mount, cut and filed it so the cabane would fit over it.
The cabane holes are all "bolt" size and the plates on the outside are doublers for strength.
I would think you wouldn't want to have the bushing loose, and less than, the inside of the cabane.
Attached is the section of the CB-1 plans showing this detail. It shows the bushing welded into the mount.

Jeff Moore
Untitled11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

I concur with JB Moore.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

I should always check the forum first before I weld something on. It saves me cutting it off and doing it again :lol:

When I looked at the detail shown above I just assumed that the gap was a little slack in the fitting. My draftsman eye says the length of the tube is drawn correctly but the wall thickness of the cabane isn't shown. You can see the cabane is offset slightly to one side of the fitting in the detail. That leaves the gap on one side. So just a drafting error. At any rate I welded the tube to the fitting. What I didn't see were the washer doublers. Thanks for that Jeff. I'm assuming AN970 welded on. Makes sense as the cabanes are only 049 wall. What doesn't make sense is the AN5 bolt at the top and the AN4 bolt at the bottom.

There is an error in the number of straps for the cabane fork/terminal fitting. I assume a 050 thick strap on either side of the 063 thick center piece. So four are required rather than two as shown.

I also didn't know how to finish the side piece for the rear cabane attachment piece. It would be impossible for me to weld the back of the side piece to the tubing. My solution was to form the piece around the tubing. I heated it and hammered it into the valleys. Then I was able to weld it around the edge of the doubler completely.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada