New Builder

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
dmccollough

New Builder

Post by dmccollough »

Hello Hatz lovers! After months (years?) of trying to decide what to build, I finally took the plunge and recently received Hatz Classic plans from Makelan. Watching video of the Swiss "Vintage Hatz" on YouTube clinched it for me - what a beautiful flying machine! I am nearly ready to glue-up my first rib. For what it's worth, I live near Chicago, am a J-3 owner and fly a corporate jet for a living.
Like you, I am a little crazy to take on a project of this magnitude. I am counting on you-all to help me see it through to completion! I look forward to forming some new friendships!

Dave Mc
jptowey2

Re: New Builder

Post by jptowey2 »

Dave,

congrats and good luck. You are about 6 months ahead of me! Been watching for awhile, but really close to making the jump.

Happy Building!

Jim
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
dmccollough

Post by dmccollough »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jim! Take the plunge - we can muddle through together!
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

Just bought the Tony Bingelis series of books.... So getting closer!
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Welcome to the Hatz community, Dave!

It is very satisfying to learn that a future Hatz builder made the decision to finally build a Hatz while watching our definition of a Hatz (Vintage Hatz)!
We have had the same inspiration for our redesign when we first saw the Warner Mehlin Hatz!
So, please feel free to ask any questions you might have also concerning our modifications!

Happy Building!

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
dougm

Post by dougm »

Welcome aboard! We are a small forum but you will find a good deal of information here and in the archives. Folks are more than willing to help out.

Try to get to Brodhead this year and see some in person!
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

hello all!

Received my plans today... # 187 ! Looking forward to the adventure. Planning on starting to build in the fall after we get my youngest situated at college.

Thanks to all in the forum, this really is a great resource. Seeing the plans on the kitchen table both exciting and intimidating! Appreciate everyone's help so far, and welcome any and all feedback as I progress.

Jim
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
hatzboy343

Post by hatzboy343 »

Although I'm new to this forum as well, I've been working on my Hatz for over nine years and I'm almost finished. While many people think we're nuts (including ourselves) it's really about having the guts to act on a dream. It's part art and part engineering. I have communicated with some Hatz builders like Ron Seick who completed a beautiful Hatz and Scott Plitschke, who unfortunately passed away before he could fly his project. From the sidelines, I observed the meticulous craftsmanship of Hans and Sam. I don't know how they kept their shop so neat. It's like everything in their life is so neat and orderly. Even their website is incredibly neat.
All I can say is keep going, a little each day. Never give up. We never surrender. Then one day, you have an airplane.

Bill
dougm

Post by dougm »

Welcome aboard Bill!
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster