Books

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
DavisD1W

Books

Post by DavisD1W »

I've heard that the Tony Bingelis books are very good but I'm not sure which ones to get. I'm just starting my Hatz so I'm not worried about the firewall forward ones yet. It seems like by the time I get to that stage everything will be powered by Mr. Fusion! There is one called "Sportplane Builder", and one called "Sportplane Construction Techniques". The descriptions on the EAA website are pretty basic and I can't tell if the books are much different from each other. Are they both worth getting?
Also, I have the FAA book on acceptable repair practices but it is from 1988. It seems like the construction techniques used to build the Hatz have been around since the 30's, do you think I should splurge for the new one?

Thanks
JBMoore

Re: Books

Post by JBMoore »

Any book by Tony is worth buying and putting in your library for reference. If you can find the complete set, buy 'em. You may not think you need the Firewall Forward book at this time, but you may find it usefull for planning ahead.
Keep in mind they were written with the "old school" scrounge builder in mind. There's not much in them for a kit builder.
AC43.13 is the bible for repair and maintenance of aircraft. The FAA website lists 43.13-B Issued September 8, 1998 as the current version. Go to http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... ntID/99861 and you can view it on line.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
dougm

Post by dougm »

I completely agree with Jeff. Buy all the Bingelis books and definitely download AC43.13-B. The thing about AC43.13 is that it will answer some of the obscure questions you'll have when building... for example, when the plans call for rosette (plug) welds on certain parts, AC43.13 gives you the information to determine the correct size (diameter) of the welds and the proper spacing. You won't find that on the plans.

Enjoy!
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
DavisD1W

Post by DavisD1W »

Thanks guys! I think I'll do that. And thanks for the link on AC43.13-B, I thought I was going to have to buy it!