FLYING TO WAUSAU 2018

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
kconner

FLYING TO WAUSAU 2018

Post by kconner »

Who's going to Wausau?
I plan to fly north out of Oklahoma Thursday the 19th and hopefully arrive in Wausau before noon Friday the 20th. Will join up with Jeff Beam and Dan Storer and arrive with 2 CB-1's and a Classic. A newsletter is on the way now with an itinerary of all activities scheduled for Wausau and Oshkosh. There's been a lot planning for these events over the past year and we should have a great crowd. Make sure you complete the RVSP form included in the newsletter and Lyman's previous post. So who's going? Let us know your plans as we might organize a gaggle and fly in together.

I spoke with Wausau airport manager John Schmiel who provided some information for our fly-in. Biplane parking will be in the grass west of the wind tee. There are grass runways available adjacent to both paved runways designated with white markers on each end of the grass. There are showers available for those who are camping at the airport. Good times this year for the 50th! See you there

Kevin Conner
JBMoore

Re: FLYING TO WAUSAU 2018

Post by JBMoore »

Arrive sometime Friday afternoon.
Will probably camp on the field.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
wildhorsesracing

Post by wildhorsesracing »

I'm out, it's roughly 10 hrs of flying with a 2 hr tank so with 5 stops it's at least 12 hrs each way. I'd love to do it but it's just not logistically possible for me this year. Ya'all have fun!
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

The 2-hr tank does make for some tiring x-countries. Flew our Hatz from middle-Texas to Indianapolis when we purchased it. One of the best flying adventures I've had, but going from a Skylane with 8 hours of fuel was a big shock. Every fuel stop counts!

Hey Jeff, What's your expected route? In my dreaming I had thought maybe Indy-3KK-C77-Y50-KAUW. It would keep me on grass until Wausau.

Ryan
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I can make it with two stops. I'm planning on Kankakee (IKK) and Watertown.(RYV)
Better check with 3KK. The last couple of times I was there I couldn't get fuel.
Jasper Co (RZL) and Joliet (JOT) both have grass. Poplar Grove is always a good stop. I've also stopped at Dacy (0C0); although, it's been several years.
Jeff
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
kconner

Post by kconner »

Good News!
Got a call from EAA Vintage today and we have a confirmed Type Club display table inside Vintage hangar at OSH. This is the last detail I've been waiting on to complete all our plans for the 50th Anniversary celebrations at Wausau and OSH. We will display drawings, brochures and provide information covering all Hatz designs and sign up new members. We will create a schedule for those who want to volunteer throughout the week. 12 noon to 5 pm Monday thru Friday. Just a couple of hours any day would be a great help. It's actually good fun to talk to potential builders and about the Hatz Association. My wife Cindi is creating a great video for the 50th which will be played at Wausau and OSH. Please email a photo of yourself with your Hatz Biplane or a good picture of yourself with your project and get in the movie! We need photos! Email photos to kevin.conner@williams.com. Please complete the RSVP form for the dinner events ASAP. We need a good count for planning the dinners. Folks this is going to be a dandy! Don't miss it. The following is a list of confirmed Hatz Biplanes flying to Wausau......

Jim Hammond - Ohio
Jeff Cain - Colorado
Ed Lachendro - Wisconsin (flying Rainman)
Steve Miller + 2 others - Central Illinois
Bob Lee - Minnesota
Mark Lightsey - Tennessee
Jeff Beam - Kansas
Ed Cooper - Texas
Ray Marvin - Wisconsin (flying Happiness)
Mark Marino - Minnesota
Jeff Moore - Indiana
Kevin and Cindi Conner - Oklahoma
Mark Taylor - Ohio
Kevin Fruehwirth - Texas
Dan Storer - Oklahoma
Dale Severs - Illinois
Ryan Wheeler - Indiana (maybe)
John and Jeff Hanson - Minnesota
Dave Conrad - Wausau
Mac Hodges - Georgia (Mehlin Smith Brodhead Hatz)

Call me if you need any help or information
Kevin Conner (918)269-3361
Clifford Hatz

Post by Clifford Hatz »

First Arrival showed up yesterday, hope everyone planning to come makes it OK. See everyone next week.
Clifford
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

The 1800 UTC TAFs don't paint a very nice picture for tomorrow; T'storms near Rockford/Chicago and low overcast in Wisconsin. :(

Hoping the weather guys will correct their mistakes in 6 hours...
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

The weather just won't quit. Doesn't look like I'd be able to get out of central Indiana until Sunday evening/Monday morning (as a low-skilled pilot), and then there's another chance on getting blocked in on Wed when I need to get home. Got an opportunity to drive up with some of my EAA club members today, so going to take it. Really disappointed our Hatz won't be a part of the event. Spent a lot of time preparing this year. Maybe Blakesburg will work out better.