RFI:All Important Center Section Rigging

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

RFI:All Important Center Section Rigging

Post by Ebby »

Due to size constrictions the center section is the only panel I can rig at home before moving to my hangar. I'm researching biplane rigging articles and have four. Bob Whittier's "The Fine Old Art of Rigging A Biplane", Conrad J. Morgan's "Rigging a Biplane", Tony Bingelis' "Biplane Assembly And RiggingProcedures" and John Kerr's "Rigging Checklist". Additional suggestions are appreciated. All are very informative and, not surprisingly, similar. One value I need confirmation on for the Hatz Classic is for stagger. I understand how too much or too little will influence maneuverability. On my HC the forward and aft cabane struts have an adjustable clevis and the diagonal between is fixed in length. Correct me if I'm wrong. My interpretation of the adjustable clevis ends would allow for adjusting incidence and to a smaller degree stagger. According to Kerr's article incidence is 0 degrees and within this forum I found one reference for 23" of stagger. Are these 'hard' numbers or is there a tolerance so long as the center section leading edge is perpendicular to the airframe center line and incidence is not negative. What say the gaggle on this issue?
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
alvinsager

Re: RFI:All Important Center Section Rigging

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ebby,
Nice to hear that you are progressing. I also read most of what you did and when I finally got to do it, it made good sense. I only have one adjustable strut so my stagger can't be changed. My only advice is that if you are not careful, things can get tighter than you want quickly. Fortunately I have indoor space where I was able to hang the wings and get everything adjusted prior to covering. I get to do it again after paint.
Regards,
Al
Ebby

Re: RFI:All Important Center Section Rigging

Post by Ebby »

I expect to spend lots of time adjusting and tweaking. I have the Holloway tensiometrr and a Snap-On torqometer. Adjusted roll wire accordingly and am quite pleased with results and use of tensiometer. My motto, one of them, is make haste slowly. Thanks for replying.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!