Aircraft Spruce Hatz Kit

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
KentDornier

Aircraft Spruce Hatz Kit

Post by KentDornier »

Dear friends - Aircraft Spruce offers a Hatz Spruce Kit for $2089, P/N 02-04800. Is the selection adequate and the price reasonable? To avoid shipping costs and possible damage, I will drive to Atlanta and pick it up in Peachtree City. Anyone have recent experience with this? I have heard that Wick's no longer supplies builders - any truth to this? When I spoke with Scott Wicks (a really nice guy) a few years ago in Oshkosh, he said that Wicks supplied ACS with their spruce. Not sure what to believe. I had considered using Douglas Fir as a substitute, but the ACS prices for spruce are not as bad as I expected. I also do not have the time to plane everything precisely and am not experienced in selecting wood for an aircraft project. Suggestions and Heckling are fully appreciated if this has been covered in another thread in the past.
painless

Re: Aircraft Spruce Hatz Kit

Post by painless »

Unfortunately, Wicks isn’t providing spruce anymore. I heard the reason is that they were having to discard too much stock they were receiving from their supplier due to it not meeting spec.

I’m not familiar with the spruce “kit” offered by ACS, but the quoted price seems low to me. I would confirm that it includes everything you will need.

Welcome aboard!
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
KentDornier

Post by KentDornier »

Hi Jeff, thank you for the good tips. The ACS office near Atlanta is not all that far away and I can always justify a business trip down there and pick up things before heading home. I will ask them how they came up with their kit items. My compliments on your builder log - are you happy with ExperCraft as a host? Kent
vern

Post by vern »

My hangar and Hatz project are behind spruce. Give me a call when you head down.

770. 310- 7169

Hangar D30 KFFC
KentDornier

Post by KentDornier »

Thanks Vern - will do! Kent