Jacking

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Dana

Jacking

Post by Dana »

I'm trying to determine the best way to jack up my plane for tire changing or whatever. On the other planes I've owned, there was always enough of a flat surface somewhere on the landing gear leg to put a jack. On my Hatz, though, the plates the spring strut fits between are angled on the bottom so there's no place for a jack to sit, and the brake caliper is also in the way. How have others dealt with it?
rawheels

Re: Jacking

Post by rawheels »

I didn’t build our plane, so I’m not sure how unique our gear are. There is enough room to place a jack on our gear for tire removal (see attached pic). Maybe yours is similar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rawheels on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dana

Post by Dana »

My Starduster was like that. My Hatz is different:
landing gear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dana

Post by Dana »

I ended making up a post with a plastic saddle on top to fit against the lugs on the fuselage:
IMG_20200517_102937_reduced.jpg
The jack is left over from my Fiat Spider days, the plastic saddle is a chunk of HDPE cut to a 16° angle to match the angle of the lug plates:
IMG_20200517_102928_reduced.jpg
It's notched about 3/16" deep so it won't slide off:
IMG_20200517_103006_reduced.jpg