Center section/Wing panelGap

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Center section/Wing panelGap

Post by Ebby »

There is a gap between each wing panel and the center section. I’m looking for the best method to seal that gap. Possible source of drag if left open. Friends have made suggestions but Hatz builders are the best source.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
painless

Re: Center section/Wing panelGap

Post by painless »

I’ve seen it done with an approximately 2” wide strip of aluminum wrapped from the trailing edge, around the leading edge and then back to the trailing edge. Put a slight bend on its edges to make good contact with the fabric. In reducing drag, considering how draggy the airplane is in the first place, I doubt you would see a significant reduction for your efforts. Main advantage I see is a possible improvement in aesthetics, and even then, it’s a personal call.

Just my very humble opinion.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

Hi Ebby,
This seal should be available at your local hardware store. It's vinyl with a 'P' shaped profile and seals very well. Also may be painted to match your wing and ours has held paint nicely for 11 years.
John Hanson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

Here is a photo with the wing panels together. Sorry, I don't know how to reduce the file size.
John Hanson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Top Wings45a 06-19-19sm.jpg
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

Thanks for the suggestions. As the wings are on I’m looking at the metal strip method or other. I like your method Jon but the gap on my wings is more than 1/2”.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!