Hatz Classic Insurance Checkout

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
tbryan

Hatz Classic Insurance Checkout

Post by tbryan »

I've recently purchased a Hatz Classic aeroplane which is known and loved by others on this forum, of which I'm a bran-new member!

My insurance carrier requires 5 hours of dual instructor by a Flight Instructor, who has at least 25 hrs in make/model. I live in the SW suburbs of Chicago, and keep the airplane hangared at Bult Field (C56).

Trying to match a flight instructor with the requisite make/model time, and sync up our personal schedules has been somewhat challenging, as I'm sure you can imagine. The insurance carrier is willing to approve an Instructor on an individual basis with less time in the Hatz, as long as they have ample tailwheel instruction time, provided they fill out a "pilot approval form" etc.

Ideally, I would prefer to receive the instruction in my own bird, however the insurance requires the check out in "make/model", not specific tail number. If someone has an LB-1 which they can provide instruction in, I am completely willing and able to travel to get this done!

I know y'all are converging on Broadhead this month, but unfortunately I won't be able to make that gathering due to family obligations.

I'm open to any ideas!

Regards,

Tim Bryan
Dana

Re: Hatz Classic Insurance Checkout

Post by Dana »

When I bought my CB-1, the underwriter (AIG, through Falcon) wanted a similar checkout. When I pointed out the near impossibility of finding a CFI with Hatz time and considering my tailwheel time (around 800 hours), they backed off and said one hour with a non CFI pilot with "significant" Hatz time (i.e. the seller) was sufficient. So depending on your situation, you may be able to negotiate.