Aileron Spar

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Aileron Spar

Post by mmarien »

It looks a little slow on the forum so I'll pose a question.

The plans show a Z shaped aileron spar. This makes a nice clean bottom edge on the aileron. However, I can't figure out the magic at the outboard end of the aileron where the bottom skin meets up with the top skin. I'm thinking there has to be a 1/2" or 3/4" jog going from the bottom to the top. I had a look at the pictures on the CD and they definitely show the Z style spar. The pictures don't clearly show how to match up the two skins. Some of the pictures also look like they are using a C shaped spar.

All I have here to compare are Cessna's and they use a C style spar on their ailerons.

Just wondering how other builders have done the ailerons.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
mmarien

Re: Aileron Spar

Post by mmarien »

I spent the evening looking through all the posts on this forum with aileron mentioned and finally figured out how shins are finished at the outboard end of the aileron. I found a post from Hans and Sam and some great pictures on their site that clearly answer my question. Thanks guys.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada