N strut fabrication

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ray Beeninga

N strut fabrication

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Anyone know of a shop thats built CB-1 N struts ? Not sure of my welding skills anymore and the CB-1 plans do not give exact length measurements. Also, why the special machined forks ? Whats wrong with AN665-61R clevis forks and AN490 HT15P threaded rod ends for the strut ends ? Those and the fittings are the only welded pieces still needed. Would appreciate any leads you might have ? Ray. cell--- 918 916 1865
alvinsager

Re: N strut fabrication

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
Not sure if this helps, but I made mine by fixturing the center section above the fuselage. I then made the struts to fit. If you are unsure of your welding, you may want to tack weld it and bring it to a pro for finish welding. I don't remember the details about the fittings.
Good luck,
Al
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Thanks Al, I may do that. CC already in place so N struts only thing to go. Ray
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
I did them the same way. Put wings on with temporary jigging and built struts in place.
Al
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Ray

For sure some of the measurements are missing on both the CB-1 and Classic plans. I'm building the Classic, but I also have the CB-1 plans. You can have a look at my blog to see how I did my N struts.

http://myhatz.blogspot.com/2018/11/2018 ... truts.html

Since every build is a one off depending on what the builder used or made up for measurements it's good advice to bolt on the wings and build the N struts in place. The length of the N struts will depend on the length of the landing/flying wires and how accurate the spar fittings were placed.

As far as the welding, I was going to have someone else do the welding for me. He wanted the parts tack welded together. In the end, he coached me to do my own welding. Some of it doesn't look good, but when I get better at it, I can always go back and redo the really ugly welds.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Thanks Murray, That blog of yours should be part of an instruction book ! You could name it " GET YOUR BUTT in GEAR AND BUILD" . Thanks again. Ray