Axle Nut

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Axle Nut

Post by orchardair »

Hatzers,
If you like me got the ACS Part# 11704-1, the 12" long, 1.5" diameter axle with one end threaded 1-1/2 x 16, you quickly find that you also need a nut.
There are several options, such as the ACS part#11726, the round nut, which is what I got initially.
Then I went and researched wheels, and ended up ordering Matco WHLW600S -6.00-6, 1.50 bearing.
Perfect, right?
Except Matco has bearings that require some extra care, and they recommend the torque (on both the internal and external bearing) is applied on a wide area, not just the 1/16 or so of the metal part of the bearing.
So on the inside, where the brake goes, they recommend a sleeve to spread the pressure, easy enough - cut a 2" OD x .188 wall x 1.624" ID 6061 tube to the right length, and it will be squeezed between the brake plate flange and the bearing.
On the outside though, I looked for a 1-1/2-16 thread nut and could not find one that was not outrageously expensive. Van's Aircraft used to carry these for the RV-10, but they changed the design.
Thanks to Al Gore I have the internet ( :lol: ) so I found that Kohler used to make a plumbing part with the right thread. Searched and found that TEAM Pipe & Supply in Illinois had a couple of the 33881 parts (in chrome!) for about $35 each.
Got them, took off the end that has a different thread on it:
Kohler 33881 mod.PNG
And voila, an airplane part courtesy of Kohler plumbing.
I still need to drill 1/8" holes for the pin that goes through the slot in the axle.

Anyone need a couple ACS part#11726?

Build on !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136