Rotec Ignition

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Rotec Ignition

Post by mmarien »

A couple of questions. I can't find a forum on the Rotec engine. Is there one?

I'm working on the firewall. A mechanic (auto) was looking it over and mentioned that the ignition module may be affected by the coil and I should keep them apart. I didn't see any specific instructions in the Rotec operations manual other than the ignition coil should be mounted with the high-tension post vertical. The wire harness is 26" between the module and the coil and 29" between the module and the hall sensor in the distributor. I'm not sure if this is for convenience to place the components anywhere practical or to keep them apart?
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
painless

Re: Rotec Ignition

Post by painless »

Not sure about the distance, but it is important to reduce the ignition module’s exposure to heat. For that reason, I have mounted my ignition modules on the cockpit side of the firewall.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I have not read anything about distance but I mounted my coils on the engine mount and the module on the inside of the firewall. There is a Rotec maintenance Facebook page.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Thx. I'll have a look on the Facebook page.

I was thinking of a blast tube to keep them cool. EMag strongly recommends a blast tube for their electronic ignition.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada