Bead rolling

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Sarpy

Bead rolling

Post by Sarpy »

Gentlemen: Spent a lot of time on this forum a couple years back while building a CB-1 and certainly appreciated all the help I got.

I’ve now embarked on rebuilding a 1939 J-3 and need to fabricate an engine cowling but have no idea how to roll a bead in .032 aluminum. I thought there was a thread here but I can’t seem to find it. Any help out there?

Sarpy Sam
KentDornier

Re: Bead rolling

Post by KentDornier »

Hello Sam,

I have done a fair amount of bead rolling in my manufacturing business, mostly on galvanized steel sheet, which is harder than aluminum. Before we bought our own bead rolling equipment (from Bayleigh, but there are others offering manual and motorized rollers), we got help from machine shops, aircraft and car repair shops and HVAC installers. Most HVAC companies can roll beads into sheet metal as this is part of most ducting, where beads are added to stiffen the sides of ducts or add a lip on edges.
Aluminum is pretty soft so a hand bead roller will probably work fine. It is a bit of art though, so be prepared to toss your first attempts.

Good luck, I think you will find this fairly easy to do.

Kent Misegades
Seven Lakes, NC
Hatz # 954