Yet another W&B question

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
rawheels

Yet another W&B question

Post by rawheels »

I just purchased a Hatz biplane, and I have been playing with the W&B numbers. I seem to be riding the aft CG limit. I am heavier at 225 lbs, but with the heavier O-320 up front and no hat rack behind the pilot seat, I would have thought I would be well within the range. Does anybody else have this same issue with their plane, or is everyone pretty much in the center of the envelope?

I've attached the excel sheet I am playing with. Empty weights are listed on the second tab titled "data".

Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rawheels

Re: Yet another W&B question

Post by rawheels »

So, I've noticed that this is about the third W&B question posted on the new forum, and none of them have gotten a lot of response. Any theories on why that is?
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Your tailwheel weight is the same as mine but you have more weight on the mains, I wouldn't think you'd be near the aft limit. I've had guys heavier than you in the back with big passengers with no problem. Are you saying your near the aft limit on paper or does it just 'feel' that way?

Steve
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Just on paper, I haven't flown it yet. I saw a link to a page that showed how Randy Brooks calculated his CG range. Are you thinking that my range is incorrect, and that I need to recalculate it?
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Your mains were in the 470 range if I'm remembering right, mine were in the 420's with the same tailweight as you, and we were right on the money CG wise. I'm running an O-320 with a thick homemade prop that doesn't let the engine turn up and its still a good performer. I'm thinking if you have a metal prop or a Sensinich wood prop or equal you'll easily make up for your extra weight. Do you have a starter or battery or any other heavy optional items?

Steve